Tuesday 11 March 2008

the rtorrent-on-debian-NSLU2-crash-issue

I'm still having problems with rtorrent on my NSLU2. It keeps crashing after two hours or so no matter what I do ([1], [2]) with .rtorrenct.rc.

However, yesterday it came across my mind, the actual problem (which is resources) could be connected to the user with whom I start rtorrent. rtorrent does not run as root but as a user with limited privileges on my NSLU2. My thinking was that Linux allocates more resources to root than to inferior users.

So I tried running rtorrent with screen and root. But still, not really a change.

I'm still wondering about the positive reports on rtorrent with the NSLU2 that e.g. google brings forward. When I asked once a forum user about how was running rtorrent, he basically replied:

"Well, it never crashed, but I've never downloaded anything with it".

So, do the positive reports only come from users who do not actually use their rtorrent?

Anyways, I'm running out of ideas on how to get rtorrent running stably. The ultima ratio seems to be to start with a fresh installation of debian...
argh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your experience with rtorrent and the problems with the NSLU2!

Your postings came quite handy while setting rtorrent up and finding a solution to the program terminations.

So I want to let you know I found a way to prevent the oom problems. Rtorrent is now running for about 3 days constantly, being busy downloading and seeding several Gigabytes, contrary to terminating after half an hour or so as before.

To make it short: ulimit -l 32 -s 8192

Read more at: Prevent Debian on Linksys NSLU2 Going Out of Memory - http://bembelbee.wordpress.com/2008/03/21/prevent-debian-on-linksys-nslu2-going-out-of-memory/

Fritz said...

Thank you, I will try that ASAP!

Fritz said...

The method from the OP DOES NOT WORK!